Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Kitchen House


On Thursday night, I hosted our June Book Club. In the past we've been outside, but it was too hot, and I was happy to showcase a few projects I've been working on.

Silvia was able to pop in, between her girls' softball games, and we were so happy to see Karen. She has been overwhelmed as the Executive Director of the Joplin Humane Society.


Dessert....Not! Dessert was actually a Strawberry Jello Pretzel Dessert.

 Spicy Corn Dip
Blake and Braden had a scrimmage game, so Mason had the pleasure of attending Book club....lucky guy!
 Pesto Chicken and 5 Layer Mexican Dip

 Mason was the only guy present, but he had good company....Zadie Rhodes.

 These are a few of the projects I was happy to display.....This has been a year long makeover. Due to a leak we had to have our ceiling painted last summer....and the walls....why not! Clint delivered the painting from Chicago. The boys call it our mermaid picture.

 Tiffany told me about this awesome bench at the local flea market. I painted the base and she covered it for me. oxoxoxoxoxo

 Left over from college.....after being handed down from my grandparents.....Mason and I painted this earlier this year, and replaced the hardware. The extra bench fabric is under glass on the top.

Matching night stands handed down from Tiffany, glass on the top lets me change out the look.




I made a few notes on the Corn Dip. On the strawberry dessert, the crust is pretzels and I did not use a food processor I crushed them in a ziplock bag. Also, I was out of sugar and used brown sugar instead.

The Six-Layer Mexican dip is below:
2-3 avacados
3 tbs lemon juice (I used lime)
1 clove minced garlic
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 15 oz can great northern beans drained and rinsed
3/4 cup salsa
1/3 cup shredded cheddar

1. Place avacados, lemon juice, garlic, salt and papper in a plastic bag, seal and knead to mash. This was extremely easy, and then I cut the corner off and squeezed it onto it's own layer!

2. Layer black beans, avocado mixture, great northern beans, salsa, sour cream and cheese. Cover and chill up to 24 hours.

Pesto Chicken
This is the easiest thing I've made in my life. I cooked boneless/skinless breasts in the crock pot with a little salt and pepper. They shredded apart extremely easily. Then I mixed the jarred Pesto in. This time I added some of the broth from the crock pot, just to keep it moist. In the past I've added bowtie pasta, but I like it just as well without.

No comments:

Post a Comment