Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Griswolds visit the ER

Braden was two and a half years old before his introduction to the Emergency Room. Mason beat him by over a year and a half. Our Sunday morning started off with breakfast as usual, only this morning we thought Mason might like to try some eggs. Little did we know that eggs are one of the foods that are off-limits until your child is at least two. Needless to say, he had an awful allergic reaction that scared Mom, Dad and Big Brother and prompted the trip to the Mt. Carmel ER.

By the time we arrived, after doing 75 down Rouse Street, poor Mason's face was all red and broken out with hives. Our primary concern was, of course, that his throat would swell and that it would affect his breathing. The ER crew did a great job and quickly got our little guy some medicine that reduced the swelling and we were back home in about an hour.

We made the most of our time at the ER, though. After securing a coloring book and colors, Braden and Mason colored all over a bedsheet that we (and our insurance company) now proudly own. Braden found, and later killed, a resident roly-poly. And there were several high-tech medical gadgets that Mason attempted to consume. A very productive hour, indeed.

We were warned the symptoms may return a little today as the Benadryl wears off, so we'll be keeping watch. But just wanted to update everyone on our excitement and to make sure any of you that might be caring for little ones know what we did eggs! Hope that's the most exciting part of our day.

- Posted by Blake

1 comment:

  1. wow, i didn't know that about eggs. peanut butter i knew...eggs, had no idea. glad hes feeling better